The Stupid Gamer

Video Games, Opinions, Thoughts, & Tomfoolery

The Stupid Gamer - Video Games, Opinions, Thoughts, & Tomfoolery

Republique Kickstarter – When the Industry Decides You Need to Pitch In

Update: With a furious last push, Republique was successfully funded. Congratulations to Camouflaj and Logan Games. Now, make us a game worthy of all the attention the project has been receiving.

Republique is a game being developed by Camouflaj and Logan Games for iOS, PC, and Mac. It aims to be a higher quality gaming experience on the mobile scene. I’m a backer, but I have to admit that I’m not terribly excited by the project as it looks a bit hokey to me. I’m just supporting the project because I like to see developers try something a little different, and for me, $10 is a pretty small price to pay to support new ideas. I am getting a little bothered, however, by the constant evangelizing of the project from the gaming press.

Ryan Payton is the founder of Camouflaj studios. For those unfamiliar with Ryan’s background, he’s gone from games journalist to working in the game industry as a developer. After his time with 1up and Famitsu, Ryan had the chance to work on some high profile projects, including Metal Gear Solid 3 & 4 and Halo 4. Last year Ryan left 343 Industries to found Camouflaj, where he could start up mobile game development on iOS. Due to his roots as a journalist, Ryan has a lot of friends spread around the games journalism scene, and the overwhelming support from the press for his Kickstarter is a direct result of those relationships.

I don’t have a problem with anybody giving a quick shout out to a friend’s project or even a little encouragement to check out what a colleague is doing. But this whole Republique banner waving is getting a little gross. I feel as if we, the readers of these video game sites and blogs, are being held captive to their evangelizing. We don’t even know if the game is going to be any good, and every time you turn around, another major media outlet is reiterating how you should be donating or increasing your current donation to the Republique Kickstarter fund. Shacknews, Giant Bomb, Joystiq, etc. are all over this pitch, and barely a day goes by without a mention hitting the podcast or news feeds.

I don’t think that reporters are totally conscious of how heavy handed they’re being. I don’t think they realize how biased they appear. Many of the people constantly reminding us about Camouflaj through their stories, Twitter updates, Facebook statuses, and podcast mentions are some of my favorite journalists and editors in the industry. I just think that the nepotism that we show for fellow games journalist brothers (or former members of the media) is getting to the point where lines are being crossed.

I think an editor, podcast host, or reporter should be able to give a mention to the stuff that they love, but I don’t think they should act as bannermen, pledging loyalty to a product. If Camouflaj wants the exposure, they should buy it through marketing efforts. Not everybody with a good idea is lucky enough to have come from the ranks of games journalism, and it’s unfair to them (and to readers of the site) that certain projects get constant attention ahead of their own for no significant reason.

There are only three days left on the Republique Kickstarter, and it’s pretty obvious that the project won’t be funded. Everybody who pitched in will get their money back, but the profile on the project has been raised so much that when the game eventually makes its way to release via alternative funding, most of its marketing push will already have been established and “paid for” through free mentions and articles on many of gaming’s largest news and opinion outlets.

I hope Camouflaj puts out a good game. I hope that they find themselves successful as a studio, but I don’t think it’s our burden to ensure that they are.

• exercise plan says:

Really simple, but I core workouts thought guys,
    now. And I want you to get more range of motion. Get Details on the next leg.
    Last one, up, Warrior 2. Go as hard as we go; I get myself into.
    Can you actually need like a Tupperware container, and find a steady base
    with the other side. Go ahead and go with keeping your
    back is one of the hardest variation.

November 13, 2014 at 4:20 pm
  • atasan Terbaru says:

Tidak masalah jika seseorang pencarian untuk nya penting hal, sehingga
    ia / dia keinginan akan tersedia yang secara rinci,
    sehingga hal yang dipertahankan di sini.

November 14, 2014 at 6:28 pm
  • Escort Agentur Zürich says:

The signage implies that the number belongs to Trixee, herself.
    Mustaffa Muhammad, Siebert and Jemison are each charged with human trafficking involving
    a child for using the girl. t mind flying from one country to the next just to have
    the most intimate experience, plan a trip to Spain right now and see what great bounties await you.

November 15, 2014 at 4:13 am
  • Georgina says:

Though it may not control the entry of little vermin nevertheless it can at least control the entry
    of larger animals like raccoons and opossums to your home.
    With so many money making opportunities available it can be difficult to choose the
    one that is right for your needs. You just need to find affiliate programs for products that
    you would like to promote and then sign up for their program.

November 17, 2014 at 2:09 am
  • etudiantes sexy says:

Bon je n’ai guè?e terminé de regarder par contre je passe demain

November 17, 2014 at 12:57 pm
  • twitter says:

If you want to know the crystal clear details it is better to view
    just about any online store web sites explaining the
    actual product or service information using elements.
    The huge distinction between Adiphene and Adipex is that Adiphene is a
    product that uses a sequence of natural and secure to use ingredients.
    Adiphene Weight Loss Supplements Offers a Unique 25% Discount n select package fr Online B Worldwide If the online critiques are something to go
    by, Adiphene is an efficient weight-loss option.

November 17, 2014 at 3:41 pm
  • respawnables cheats says:

Even cooler, the experience and leveling system is persistent across both the single player and multiplayer campaign, which allows players to play in one mode to increase the stats in the other.
    My day job is at a sign shop doing vehicle wraps in Tampa so I always thought it would be cool
    if the developers gave us a way to “wrap” our team’s vehicles.
    It’s more of the same decent gameplay with a great visual upgrade and
    a pretty cool overhaul of the class and progression system.

November 18, 2014 at 10:06 pm
  • cheat kitchen scramble says:

All the sites I found speak only of ‘doing it because
    it works’. Starving yourself all morning will surely lead to overeating
    later. You can find her through friends’ introduction, clubs,
    bars, and online dating services.

November 18, 2014 at 10:28 pm
  • meladerm says:

Oftentimes, due to the fact hormonal shifts, childbirth, as well as birth
    control usage. But, this will no longer be the situation with Meladerm.
    Plenty of kids decide to buy perfect Halloween costumes and
    mimic their favorite cartoon or fairytale characters.

November 19, 2014 at 9:49 pm
  • Bogowie online 2014 says:

It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it’s time
    to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you some interesting things or tips.

Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article.
    I wish to read even more things about it!

November 21, 2014 at 9:31 pm
  • 12bet says:

Heyya i am for the first time here. I came across this
    board and I to find It really useful & it helped
    me out a lot. I am hoping to give something again and help othees such as you aided me.

November 23, 2014 at 7:52 am
  • m88 says:

Thank you a bunch foor sharing this with all people you really know what you’re speaking approximately!
    Bookmarked. Kindly additionally consult with my website =).
    We can have a hyperlink change arrangrment between us

November 23, 2014 at 3:21 pm
  • m88 says:

Hello it’s me, I am also visiting this website daily, this web
    site is really nice and the viewers are genuinely sharing nice thoughts.

November 23, 2014 at 10:17 pm
  • kris fondran shapeshifter yoga review says:

There are plenty of products out there such as Growth
    – Max Height Increase Supplements that can really boost all of the efforts you are
    already putting into the necessary lifestyle changes you
    will need to increase height. If children are taught the
    art of Mediation they too should be introduced to the art by getting them to
    practise with Meditation for Beginners. Even 5 minutes of laughter keeps our
    stress at lowest possible level.

November 25, 2014 at 10:31 pm