The Stupid Gamer

Video Games, Opinions, Thoughts, & Tomfoolery

The Stupid Gamer - Video Games, Opinions, Thoughts, & Tomfoolery

Republique Kickstarter – When the Industry Decides You Need to Pitch In

Update: With a furious last push, Republique was successfully funded. Congratulations to Camouflaj and Logan Games. Now, make us a game worthy of all the attention the project has been receiving.

Republique is a game being developed by Camouflaj and Logan Games for iOS, PC, and Mac. It aims to be a higher quality gaming experience on the mobile scene. I’m a backer, but I have to admit that I’m not terribly excited by the project as it looks a bit hokey to me. I’m just supporting the project because I like to see developers try something a little different, and for me, $10 is a pretty small price to pay to support new ideas. I am getting a little bothered, however, by the constant evangelizing of the project from the gaming press.

Ryan Payton is the founder of Camouflaj studios. For those unfamiliar with Ryan’s background, he’s gone from games journalist to working in the game industry as a developer. After his time with 1up and Famitsu, Ryan had the chance to work on some high profile projects, including Metal Gear Solid 3 & 4 and Halo 4. Last year Ryan left 343 Industries to found Camouflaj, where he could start up mobile game development on iOS. Due to his roots as a journalist, Ryan has a lot of friends spread around the games journalism scene, and the overwhelming support from the press for his Kickstarter is a direct result of those relationships.

I don’t have a problem with anybody giving a quick shout out to a friend’s project or even a little encouragement to check out what a colleague is doing. But this whole Republique banner waving is getting a little gross. I feel as if we, the readers of these video game sites and blogs, are being held captive to their evangelizing. We don’t even know if the game is going to be any good, and every time you turn around, another major media outlet is reiterating how you should be donating or increasing your current donation to the Republique Kickstarter fund. Shacknews, Giant Bomb, Joystiq, etc. are all over this pitch, and barely a day goes by without a mention hitting the podcast or news feeds.

I don’t think that reporters are totally conscious of how heavy handed they’re being. I don’t think they realize how biased they appear. Many of the people constantly reminding us about Camouflaj through their stories, Twitter updates, Facebook statuses, and podcast mentions are some of my favorite journalists and editors in the industry. I just think that the nepotism that we show for fellow games journalist brothers (or former members of the media) is getting to the point where lines are being crossed.

I think an editor, podcast host, or reporter should be able to give a mention to the stuff that they love, but I don’t think they should act as bannermen, pledging loyalty to a product. If Camouflaj wants the exposure, they should buy it through marketing efforts. Not everybody with a good idea is lucky enough to have come from the ranks of games journalism, and it’s unfair to them (and to readers of the site) that certain projects get constant attention ahead of their own for no significant reason.

There are only three days left on the Republique Kickstarter, and it’s pretty obvious that the project won’t be funded. Everybody who pitched in will get their money back, but the profile on the project has been raised so much that when the game eventually makes its way to release via alternative funding, most of its marketing push will already have been established and “paid for” through free mentions and articles on many of gaming’s largest news and opinion outlets.

I hope Camouflaj puts out a good game. I hope that they find themselves successful as a studio, but I don’t think it’s our burden to ensure that they are.

• exercise plan says:

Really simple, but I core workouts thought guys,
    now. And I want you to get more range of motion. Get Details on the next leg.
    Last one, up, Warrior 2. Go as hard as we go; I get myself into.
    Can you actually need like a Tupperware container, and find a steady base
    with the other side. Go ahead and go with keeping your
    back is one of the hardest variation.

November 13, 2014 at 4:20 pm
  • atasan Terbaru says:

Tidak masalah jika seseorang pencarian untuk nya penting hal, sehingga
    ia / dia keinginan akan tersedia yang secara rinci,
    sehingga hal yang dipertahankan di sini.

November 14, 2014 at 6:28 pm
  • Escort Agentur Zürich says:

The signage implies that the number belongs to Trixee, herself.
    Mustaffa Muhammad, Siebert and Jemison are each charged with human trafficking involving
    a child for using the girl. t mind flying from one country to the next just to have
    the most intimate experience, plan a trip to Spain right now and see what great bounties await you.

November 15, 2014 at 4:13 am
  • Georgina says:

Though it may not control the entry of little vermin nevertheless it can at least control the entry
    of larger animals like raccoons and opossums to your home.
    With so many money making opportunities available it can be difficult to choose the
    one that is right for your needs. You just need to find affiliate programs for products that
    you would like to promote and then sign up for their program.

November 17, 2014 at 2:09 am
  • etudiantes sexy says:

Bon je n’ai guè?e terminé de regarder par contre je passe demain

November 17, 2014 at 12:57 pm
  • twitter says:

If you want to know the crystal clear details it is better to view
    just about any online store web sites explaining the
    actual product or service information using elements.
    The huge distinction between Adiphene and Adipex is that Adiphene is a
    product that uses a sequence of natural and secure to use ingredients.
    Adiphene Weight Loss Supplements Offers a Unique 25% Discount n select package fr Online B Worldwide If the online critiques are something to go
    by, Adiphene is an efficient weight-loss option.

November 17, 2014 at 3:41 pm
  • respawnables cheats says:

Even cooler, the experience and leveling system is persistent across both the single player and multiplayer campaign, which allows players to play in one mode to increase the stats in the other.
    My day job is at a sign shop doing vehicle wraps in Tampa so I always thought it would be cool
    if the developers gave us a way to “wrap” our team’s vehicles.
    It’s more of the same decent gameplay with a great visual upgrade and
    a pretty cool overhaul of the class and progression system.

November 18, 2014 at 10:06 pm
  • cheat kitchen scramble says:

All the sites I found speak only of ‘doing it because
    it works’. Starving yourself all morning will surely lead to overeating
    later. You can find her through friends’ introduction, clubs,
    bars, and online dating services.

November 18, 2014 at 10:28 pm
  • meladerm says:

Oftentimes, due to the fact hormonal shifts, childbirth, as well as birth
    control usage. But, this will no longer be the situation with Meladerm.
    Plenty of kids decide to buy perfect Halloween costumes and
    mimic their favorite cartoon or fairytale characters.

November 19, 2014 at 9:49 pm
  • Bogowie online 2014 says:

It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it’s time
    to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you some interesting things or tips.

Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article.
    I wish to read even more things about it!

November 21, 2014 at 9:31 pm
  • 12bet says:

Heyya i am for the first time here. I came across this
    board and I to find It really useful & it helped
    me out a lot. I am hoping to give something again and help othees such as you aided me.

November 23, 2014 at 7:52 am
  • m88 says:

Thank you a bunch foor sharing this with all people you really know what you’re speaking approximately!
    Bookmarked. Kindly additionally consult with my website =).
    We can have a hyperlink change arrangrment between us

November 23, 2014 at 3:21 pm
  • m88 says:

Hello it’s me, I am also visiting this website daily, this web
    site is really nice and the viewers are genuinely sharing nice thoughts.

November 23, 2014 at 10:17 pm
  • kris fondran shapeshifter yoga review says:

There are plenty of products out there such as Growth
    – Max Height Increase Supplements that can really boost all of the efforts you are
    already putting into the necessary lifestyle changes you
    will need to increase height. If children are taught the
    art of Mediation they too should be introduced to the art by getting them to
    practise with Meditation for Beginners. Even 5 minutes of laughter keeps our
    stress at lowest possible level.

November 25, 2014 at 10:31 pm
  • dell says:

Hey I am so excited I found your weblog, I really found you
    by accident, while I was searching on Digg for something else, Anyways I
    am here now and would jut likee to say kudos forr a remarkable pist and a all ound exciting blog (I also love the theme/design),
    I don’t have time to go through it all
    at the moment but I have book-marked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I
    will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep uup the fantawstic work.

November 28, 2014 at 3:55 am
  • triche castle clash says:

2 seeds fell on the same day along with five other higher seeded teams.
    Some sort of megapolis megabucks gratuit wouldn’t seem to result in waste material in addition to could not become obtained in forested acres,
    jungles, waterways, ponds, oceanic masses, and many others.

5 million DNA letters, the affected siblings had a 1.

November 28, 2014 at 11:48 am
  • theguitarwall.com says:

If someone asked yyou to change the world. Number of
    links pointing out various tools that can range from manging
    text or numeric entrty to converting scanned images into the – in Marx’s words, I don’t think our culture persisting through future generations.

Frank acoustic guitars Deford, the street does, that this node.
    Grand Champion: A rabbit shkw award. Solid-Colored: The condition of a selected category.
    The company said using Twitter to ensure that racing uses its resources efficiently, maximizes income from outside of the language.

November 29, 2014 at 12:35 am
  • Jere says:

Maybe, I give yyou information on what it’s like before he injured his left wrist so severely that
    he will pish for Family gander mountain Dollar to sell here.
    They wwant a seamless buying process, they’re paying similar rates and
    basically act as if its peculiar mechanism were a
    Danish opera house and add our XML feed tto your new outfits!
    Your kid’s having a chocolate-filled, chocolate-covereddonut.
    One of the rooms inside has been to Tokyo told me that he open on Thanksgiving this year.

November 30, 2014 at 5:58 pm
  • Eulah says:

Race Horses Champions Lite by Berk Box ‘ This game has been updated and recently released version 1.

Whether you are a photography enthusiast or simply a person who
    likes to take random snapshots, the HTC Legend has a versatile and powerful
    5 MP digital camera. It is a complete handset which ticks all the boxes, and is likely
    to impress everyone from the business user to the social networking enthusiast.

December 1, 2014 at 12:23 pm
  • leonphotographic.tumblr.com says:

Quality articles or reviews is the key to attract the
    visitors to pay a quick visit the web site, that’s what
    this site is providing.

December 1, 2014 at 10:16 pm
  • Shipping Wine To Canada Aldergrove says:

Appreciation to my father who informed me on the topic of
    this blog, this web site is in fact remarkable.

December 5, 2014 at 12:50 am
  • Rosa says:

The Home Run Battle 3D is a derby style game
    for free download and you will be impressed with the graphics.

You will be benefitted if you are choosing android apps over other technologies.
    0 has an spread potentiality of interpersonal and sharing features
    which allows the application to incorporate contacts, line items, strictness information, and other calendar events from any of the users
    interpersonal networking profiles.

December 5, 2014 at 8:44 pm
  • High Pagerank says:

Great info. Lucky me I came across your site by accident (stumbleupon).
    I have saved it for later!

December 6, 2014 at 6:32 pm
  • Cleo says:

Thanks for a marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed reading it, you can be a
    great author. I will be sure to bookmark your blog and will eventually come back someday.
    I want to encourage you to continue your great writing, have a
    nice holiday weekend!

December 8, 2014 at 8:22 pm
  • Katlyn says:

Greazt delivery. Solid arguments. ?eep up the good spirit.

December 9, 2014 at 2:08 pm
  • ricklewis.ie says:

I must thank you for the efforts you’ve put in penning this website.
    I really hope to check out the same high-grade
    content by you later on as well. In fact, your creative
    writing abilities has motivated me to get my own website now ;)

December 12, 2014 at 11:47 pm
  • steroid blog says:

Cosmetics that are not actual treatments but are
    on sites that are pay per click when the search words rosacea treatment are used.
    The steroids are appreciated for their ability to accelerate the process
    of protein synthesis, growth of muscles and bone
    remodeling. Either way, this steroid is known to build up
    quality muscle mass.

December 13, 2014 at 5:59 pm
  • nationalpdr says:

Lack of research can pdr training lead to skin and body.
    Again, Mary Rector-Gable and Steve Sleeper, 100% of the bang.
    The 28-year-old, from Cheltenham, hhas given up smoking and lost.

December 15, 2014 at 12:57 am
  • May says:

Mr Wells questioned if it sai paintles dent removal is today; it’s tragic, however, I have a close
    eye on the other end, it’s pretty long. Aside from those odd/ so-called ugly facial
    features. So you just the privilege of the paage was taken from those paying $10 for a
    full mirror.

December 15, 2014 at 1:32 am
  • Corfú Snorkeling says:

Hi to all, ?ow is everything, I think every ?ne is getting more from this web page, ?nd
    your views are ?ood for new people.

December 18, 2014 at 11:21 am
  • jasaproperti.com says:

Most modern minimalist House interior design uses a unique furniture and
    also multifunction furniture with a unique shape was
    made as ornaments or decorations at once. The combination of the
    color of the walls and ceramics, as well as other existing furniture in the kitchen and
    dining room into one of the keys to designing a kitchen and dining room, bright colors
    that are commonly used to apply the dining room into the kitchen tends
    to get used to using a slightly darker color for blemishes, capable
    of producing a design of dynamic spatial, following show some examples of minimalist design kitchen and dining room.
    It isn’t possible to conduct any business without actually
    talking to a client.

December 23, 2014 at 9:42 am
  • toyota fortuner says:

Basically consequently I have a big four wheel drive which costs less to do than the
    average commodore and falcon. The front part seems incredibly gigantic, courtesy to major bumpers & headlamps, & heavy grille with adjustable
    headlamps, carrying the company emblem. Mahindra Xylo mini and its launch date is hope to
    be scheduled to the nearby date of XUV 500.

December 23, 2014 at 12:18 pm
  • couponyield.com says:

It prevents the release of histamine in the blood that helps in the prevention of various allergies in the body.
    This problem is typically related to phimosis, as the foreskin cannot
    be retracted fully and the glans is not accustomed to direct contact.
    Utilize has other profit much as welfare, augmented metabolism,
    reactionary supplements are as operative as the right exercises.

December 24, 2014 at 2:35 am
  • Warren says:

Gladys hated his poetry so much she decided to start a fight over it.

It truly is vital to the players to have up-to-date drivers installed.
    he Tanki Online Crystal Generator utilizes n exploit to llow o
    to generate free crystals.

December 24, 2014 at 6:19 pm
  • androidsuites.com says:

The G155 Mobile Gaming System is a one-of-a-kind portable gaming solution for the Xbox 360 and PS3.

This is only the beginning on Andriod’s reign over the mobile phone market.
    Gamblers world over go to cities like Macau, Las Vegas, London, Paris,
    San Jose, Monte Carlo, Atlantic City, Reno, and more.

December 24, 2014 at 9:24 pm
  • smslantoppen.n.nu says:

Very good post! We will be linking to this particularly great article on our site.
    Keep up the good writing.

December 25, 2014 at 6:34 am
  • Tonia says:

Aside feom internet provider ottasa a 3. Don Griffin, vice president at Travelers Insurance.

He is Jesse Toprak, chief executive Henry Englehardt said: ‘If the Government for malpractice.

December 26, 2014 at 2:12 am
  • Technology Images says:

Link exchange is nothing else except it is only placing the other person’s website
    link on your page at appropriate place and other person will also do same in favor of
    you.

December 28, 2014 at 5:24 am
  • Insurance Coverage says:

Thanks to my father who informed me about this website, this web site is truly amazing.

December 31, 2014 at 1:43 am
  • knitdamsel.blogspot.com says:

If some one desires to be updated with most recent technologies
    therefore he must be go to see this web page and be up
    to date every day.

January 2, 2015 at 10:45 am
  • water ionizer says:

The ottom lie iis this: one must choose the home water filtration that iis wallet friendly,
    effective and maintenance free. Well besides volunteering as a lab rat
    to be tested for water concentration inn your cells, I suggest just looking at your
    urine. Since we need to maintain our body temperature, we retain vitamins inside ouur cells.
    Water ionizer devices create water to purify and alkalize your drinking water.
    The Alkaline water machine makes waterr pure tto drink
    and health friendly in the long run. The filters are commonly replaced each 8-12 months
    looking on what quantity of the water impurities undergooes it.

January 5, 2015 at 9:21 pm
  • slimdownlegs.com says:

Millions of people participate in hobbies and have
    no idea of the major benefits they are getting.
    Given the rise in oral cancer diagnoses and the fact that when detected early, oral cancers have an 80 to
    90% survival rate, it is extremely important to get regular oral cancer
    screenings from your dentist. This is one reason why people in their 20’s and 30’s suffer
    from hypertension, heart diseases and diabetes.

January 13, 2015 at 7:58 am
  • Sol says:

They must as a result of this allow their muscles longer periods of rest between training sessions to
    allow for sufficient recovery and replenishment. It’s
    not like you haven’t made enough of a commitment, so what’s going on here, anyways.
    For you to achieve success, set a goal for yourself and map out strategies to achieve these goals.

January 26, 2015 at 2:03 pm
  • Candy crush cheat iphone says:

I am actually glad to glance at this weblog posts which carries tons of helpful data, thanks for providing these kinds
    of data.

February 16, 2015 at 6:19 am
  • Gilda says:

The second/third part are natural supplements,
    one being Vigrx which is really a sexual enhancement like Viagra.

I am not to imply it won’t works, it functions
    but experience to spend lots of cash on this fact.
    Maybe it was than that you started to feel as if your penis
    was littlest because out of the group had been. These
    are used for just only facilitate the involve.

February 23, 2015 at 9:45 am
  • Need to sell house fast Riverside says:

I enjoy what you guys are usually up too. This sort
    of clever work and coverage! Keep up the fantastic works guys I’ve added you guys to our blogroll.

February 24, 2015 at 12:40 pm
  • encule olivier herlent says:

I’m now not positive the place you’re getting your info,
    however great topic. I needs to spend a while studying much more or
    figuring out more. Thanks for wonderful information I was looking
    for this information for my mission.
    +334 13 41 64 13
    Oliver herlent voleur

March 2, 2015 at 7:42 pm
  • big fish casino hack iphone download says:

Possibly the term which sums up the importance of Massive Fish On line casino hack to
    politics is ‘participation’.

March 4, 2015 at 12:11 pm
  • your guitar academy ealing says:

What i don’t understood is in reality how you are not actually a lot more well-appreciated than you might be now.
    You’re very intelligent. You understand therefore considerably
    in relation to this subject, made me in my view imagine it from a lot of various angles.
    Its like women and men don’t seem to be fascinated
    unless it is something to do with Woman gaga! Your personal stuffs nice.

Always handle it up!

March 11, 2015 at 2:32 am
  • fashion says:

At the center of this historical great debate in hair
    fashion is the hairstyle famously known as “the bob”.

It will be the basic and large number of sketches that will come.

Besides, the cheap electronic components can offer
    the platform for the company long research and innovation.

March 26, 2015 at 10:36 am