Thanks to Gamasutra we have the top ten selling games of 2009 for the United States. As expected, Modern Warfare 2 took the top spot. Here is the full list.
1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Infinity Ward, Activision), Xbox 360
2. Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo), Wii
3. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo), Wii
4. Wii Fit (Nintendo), Wii
5. Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo), Wii
6. Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo), Wii
7. Wii Play (Nintendo), Wii
8. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Infinity Ward, Activision), PlayStation 3
9. Halo 3: ODST (Bungie, Microsoft), Xbox 360
10. Pokemon Platinum Version (Nintendo), NDS
Nintendo took seven of the top 10 positions, which is amazing considering that some of the titles didn’t even come out in 2009 that made that list. With two different versions of Modern Warfare outselling Halo 3: ODST, I think it’s safe to say that Modern Warfare has taken the crown from Halo as king of FPS franchises for the time being. We’ll have to see what sort of numbers Halo Reach can put up, but it’s doubtful that it’s going to do the same sort of quantity of sales as Modern Warfare 2, though still entirely possible. One thing is certain, however, the Wii games developed by Nintendo are sales juggernauts and software sales for the system are quite healthy.