I’ve been searching around, bidding on auctions, watching local classifieds like a hawk (a chicken hawk, to be precise), and even sent out countless emails to old contacts trying to track down a Punch-Out!! arcade cabinet. Most of the time I was either outbid on eBay, was just a little too late with the local classifieds, or sellers just wanted too much for what they had to offer. Earlier this week I finally found a great deal on a working Punch-Out!! that didn’t have any structural or electronic issues, so I jumped right on the opportunity to get the game. Now, this thing is going to need some work to get it just how I want it, but I’m ready for some restoration work out in the garage before I move the game into the arcade room. I picked up a few restoration supplies at Home Depot yesterday, and I have some parts on order that should be here by the end of the week. Below are some of the pictures as the machine looks right now.
As you can see from the pictures, the machine is completely missing its sideart and the paint job is a little scuffed up in places. The upper monitor needs to have a cap kit done on it, the bezel needs to be replaced, and the control panel overlay is torn up in places. I already have a new CPO on its way, new sideart stickers, and two new orange buttons. The marquee is fine, but the bulb needs a new starter, and the marquee brackets actually need fixing.
Here is the fix list (not necessarily in order):
- Fix marquee brackets
- Install a new starter into the marquee bulb assembly
- Strip down the cabinet, sand it down, fill in the holes/chips, repaint the sides, back, top, front
- Apply new sideart and control panel overlay
- Replace the bezel
- Build and paint a new cabinet base (it’s currently missing one)
- Install new casters onto the bottom of the cab
- Install a cap kit on the upper monitor
- Install new t-molding
- Remove the coin doors, strip the paint, and repaint them
- Install a cap kit on the sound board
- Put the whole dang thing back together and pray I didn’t ruin anything in the process
- Move the thing into the arcade room!
I’ll try and remember to take work in progress pictures as I go, but I’ll definitely post pictures of the completed project before I move it out of the garage so we can have some good before/after comparisons. This is the last of the “must have” games, so I’m pretty happy to have this one home. I also have my eye on a handful of other games that I found locally that need some restore work, but I’d most likely just get them back to 100% and flip them to other collectors.